For a while now I’ve been using Gmail in the browser but recently I decided to make the switch back to Mail.app
One of the things I made extensive use of in Gmail was consolidating all my email accounts through one main account. From that main account I could receive and send email as any one of many aliases.
However in Mail.app, when I signed in with my Google credentials, I could only send mail from the main account. Disaster.
However while fiddling around I discovered this nifty secret in Mail.app settings where you can enter multiple email addresses in one box.
Completely confused as to why this isn’t publicized, I guess it probably only works if you can successfully send mail from them all through the same SMTP server so isn’t a standard user feature. Great for Gmail Aliases though!
- Open Mail’s preferences:
Mail > Preferences
- Select your gmail account in the left sidebar
- Click the ‘Account Information’ tab
- Add all aliases in the “Email Address” field, separated by commas
- Exit Preferences
- Compose new email and select an alias from the Dropdown
- Make a cup of tea and set your sights on Inbox Zero.